Monday, April 12, 2010

IPG Lab: An Overview of their Tests


Location-based advertisements? Cell phones as the major web source? Netflix powered through our phones?

Technology has come a mighty long way! Josh Levison coming to our class gave us a direct and insightful perspective on what to expect for mobile and gaming aspects in the near future.

When we first discussed cell phones as the primary engaging online tool in the next three years, my circumstance directly applied. It makes sense that more and more people are converting to the 3G networks, whether that be via the Blackberry, Android, or iPhone due to the 2-year contract upgrades (or should I say gimmicks). I guess I’m one of the suckers (60% to be exact) who has an electronic 3G device that is less than 12 months old. However, I am an exception in that do not use my wifi on my phone as much as I do with my computer.

I also learned that over the next few years, Josh predicts that our smart phones are going to come equipped with wireless keyboards, a docking station, and be set up to substitute our computers. That is completely mind-blowing, since I am a dedicated computer-user who will only typically use my smart phone for emergencies or when I have (rare) downtime.

At 80 megabits per second, the speeds are becoming faster with more space available for content. Josh stated that calling our smart phones as just “phones” is almost a disservice to the product itself, when in fact, we rely on the electronic device for so much more than that. What’s more is that it’s purposely built and capable of doing that and more.

Josh also mentioned that “appointment TV” is useless. These shows rely on people who are dedicated enough to watch a specific show at an exact time for a certain time range. TimeWarner and the other cable companies are looking to face near obstacles, especially since online television programming has a fraction of the commercials and requires less dedication or focus. As soon as subscriptions for live television become more widespread on the internet, we can all follow Clint’s actions and strategically split the cost with our friends and family!

But a great message that I noted that Karen and Josh shared was the theory that human nature does not change. Even over the past 150 years, our behavior still has similarities with the past. As we start our own businesses or start-up companies, it does not matter if we’re completely original or not. Chances are almost guaranteed that someone has thought of that same idea before or it’s already been in the works.

Just get there faster or beat ‘em to the punch!

1 comment:

  1. Great summary!I was actually looking forward to your post about that night's class! Josh has painted such an exciting picture for us and there is huge potential in the mobile internet industry in the near future, let APOCers "get there faster or beat'em to the punch!" hoho!

    ReplyDelete