Saturday, February 6, 2010

Happy Birthday, Facebook!


Six years old with 400 million viewers? Talk about accomplishments! I know when I was six-years-old, I barely knew how to add.

But with technology these days, how could Facebook NOT reach 400 million users? What's even scarier is that Facebook's exponential growth doesn't look like it's slowing down any time soon. On February 4th, Facebook CEO and founder, Mark Zuckerberg, posted a note on Facebook in honor of the momentous occasion. The last 100 million users even signed up within the last five months.

And what's a better way to celebrate than with a party? A Hackathon party to be exact. But what is a Hackathon? All of Facebook's engineers will spend a whole night dedicated to coding sessions. In the past, Hackathons have produced Facebook Video and other features such as the HipHop PHP converter that, to be honest, I had never heard of before until now. The product launches that resulted were revealed live that same night.


Remember this? Back in 2005, when Facebook first launched, it didn't have nearly the same features that it does now. I still remember the days when college students got kicks out of "poking" their friends. Now, it seems like that feature is even obsolete. But my friends and I were just discussing about how slow the Facebook server is now. Maybe the insane amount of data and files that the company holds is making the whole server lag. Whatever the reason, personally I'd rather have a faster server, wallposts and pictures. It seems like those are the two features I pay the most attention to anyway.

I'm excited to see what 2011 has to offer!

No comments:

Post a Comment